Beach holiday Hair Protection
Okay so you’ve been good for 50 weeks of the year and then come those two weeks you’ve been agonising over and planning for…You basically trash your locks in a fortnight. Sun, sea, salt and chlorine all assault your lovely mane. Here are a few tips to keep your hair in top nick!
- Get a trim before you go. Okay so you’re thinking this is a sneaky marketing ploy to get you all in the salon! Not so….It’s just if you have rough, split or dry ends and you are going to sunny climbs well it’s only going to get worse and you may end up having more cut off than you fancied when you return.
- If you need your hair coloured get it done two weeks before, this will give you time to pack some moisture back into the hair. If you can help it get it coloured when you come back instead. The sun will bleach your hair and so it’s nice to have the colour all lovely and fresh when you return.
- Use a protection spray with a UV filter. It’s like sun lotion for hair! It’ll stop your hair getting frazzled. There are lots on the market. Oh and get a wide tooth comb to comb it through and stop your hair getting matted by the lovely drying salt water! Don’t use actual sun lotion on the hair. It’s designed to stay on the skin and frankly it’s like glue to try and wash out!
- Get some Hattitude (err…see what I did there) Get a lovely straw panama, this season’s must have hat. It will protect your hair and face in the sun and you’ll look super cool! Or wrap up in a super chic silk scarf a la miss Dannii Minogue
- Tie it up in a pony or better still bun or braid it. What the sun can’t get too the sun can’t wreck!
Tie it up in a scarf
- Use a leave in conditioner to combat dryness during the day.
- Are you a bleach blonde? If so before you get into a chlorinated pool…saturate your hair with normal water. Why? because if the hair is already wet it makes it harder for the chlorine to penetrate it. No-one likes that green tinge. Also we have a great product in the salon called Riflessi which is a colour mask to counteract this for bleach blondes. Ask in the salon for the best colour for you.
- That two tone look is in at the moment and it’s sometimes nice to come back to blighty all sun-kissed but be careful of products that claim to give you lovely highlights by spraying onto hair and chilling out in the sun. There is strong chance of going ginger!
- Avoid heat. Live without your blow dryer and straighteners for a week! Go on relax, be all tousled and sexy! Less heat, less damage. New place new hair rules! And it will give you licence to try out some of my beach hair styling tips. Coming soon.
- Get a rich moisturising shampoo and conditioner. The hair will lose moisture and you want to keep the texture as good as you can. A couple of times while you’re relaxing in your hotel room pop on a hair repair mask to really keep in the moisture.
I hope this has been useful and again pop by the salon, call or message us via Facebook