Cheryl (she is just going by the one name these days) has been pictured over the last couple of days with a drastic change in image. This change has caused some controversy, which is not surprising as it’s evidentially been done to grab some exposure around the time of her new album launch and her appearance on the TV show the greatest dancer. The first single of her album and appearance a few weeks ago on the Graham Norton show left fans a bit confused expecting Cheryl after a four year break to come back with a stunning new single. Fast forward a few weeks and she is papped and filmed while attending a press engagement for Capital radio.
As hairstylists we were bound to look at the hair first which has been cut into a bob and coloured a darker than usual brunette. However we are fairly certain that this is a wig, partly because she signed a deal to promote a brand of hair extensions just before Christmas and the bobbed hair in some closer up seems to have a slightly different texture to it.
Something didn’t sit right and so we ran an Instagram poll to see what people generally thought. We had 150 votes and 75% of people liked Cheryl’s hair before, while the other 25% liked the bob. So we wonder why it hasn’t gone down well. And to make it clear this is blog about musing about an image change not bashing Cheryl, the woman has changed her hair and outfit let’s not go over the top! And the media are speculating a little too much, that her image change is due to her recent break up. That was a while ago now so a bit of cliché to exploit. And while we do have customers that come in wanting a fresh new look after a relationships ended, we have many more who just want a new look. Love didn’t necessarily make her do it!
We think there is a few reasons why this jarred so much. The images that we saw almost looked like when you see candid pictures of an actress on set. Cheryl didn’t seem herself. Her skin colour is normally a little more tanned and makeup glowy. The very dark hair and pale skin looked quite harsh. There has been some speculation about the thirty five year old having fillers and botox and she does have the tell tale signs of that and we think what bothered people is that they felt it was unnecessary. Her face looks different. The outfit seemed off brand. Stepping out in a little black skirt, knee high Doctor Martin style boots and fluorescent street style jacket. All these elements together didn’t work. And we weren’t sure who would want to emulate it. Not her older fans who have loved her since her Girls aloud days, not her younger fans who know her from xfactor. Who is it for?
We want our pop stars to change up their looks and inspire us. Cheryl’s idea wasn’t wrong it just wasn’t executed well. Her image did need a refresh to stay current and be relevant and interesting. We would all be moaning that she is boring and I guess we can’t have it all ways. However the evolution maybe needed to go a slightly more sophisticated way or even a more grown up version of the sports luxe trend.
I guess the issue is her contemporaries or other singers, when you see the appearance of another artist making a comeback Fleur East, she seems to be doing a far better job or rather her team are. She looks like herself but with little details and twists in her style that keeps her looking on trend.
A look that had the polar opposite affect was Lucy Boynton’s hair styled for the recent golden globes 2019 (Lucy was in the movie Bohemian Rhapsody). This is why it worked. The texture and casual movement juxaposed the sequin dress and formality of the event, the natural makeup kept the look young a fresh. Imagine the hair with less movement, side parting slicked down and bold makeup. Lucy would have probably been compared to a similar looking actress such as Charleze Theron.
So does this mean that 25% of people that voted were wrong about the bob? No, absolutely not. If you voted that you liked Cheryl’s new haircut then you are in fact on trend. The bob is going to make a come back for 2019 and if all about the styling and keeping it current. The look is casual and textured, worn with a full fringe or swept high into a side part, kept casual as with Lucy’s version or some layering.
So Cheryl don’t ditch the new bob, we kind of like it and we encourage change and experimentation. You have one life to live!
It just needs tweaking. A warmer, lighter brown that doesn’t wash your skin tone out. Blunt bobs are in but this weave wasn’t well cut so the shape needed a bit of work, some movement and texture but lose the frizz. A full fringe would look great and give the style a casual vibe and this is the version worn by fashion models at the moment.
lets hope the first single was a warm up and next one will be a banger. We are rooting for you Chezza.